Here we go.

23 September 2012

My cousin gave us a gift certificate from Sur La Table as a wedding present last year &  I've only recently got around to using it .  It's been awhile that I've been this excited about an online purchase.  A pro kitchen knife, smoked salt, and duck fat.  Now that we're beyond the horrible heat of the hottest summer ever, it's time to kitchen.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

A group of us were going to go camping last weekend to celebrate our first year anniversary, but because of the rain, we didn't.  I mean, we could've, but it's neither fun nor comfortable to constantly battle the elements like that.  On Saturday evening, we, along with KMHD and Everett, went to Hot Springs to have dinner at Rolando's & drinks at the Arlington instead.  I love Hot Springs; I wish I was there right now.  I can't quite explain my affection for that weirdo town, but it's been there for a long time.  Maybe it's because when Dad took us on vacation, this was about all he could afford -- a one night stay in Arkansas' resort town that was already pretty shoddy -- but, we had the best time.  That was when Dad was still fun, too.

Once, when we were of drinking age, KMHD and I drove from Little Rock and met my father, stepmum, & grandmother (visiting from Interlaken, NY) in Hot Springs.  We - my grandmother, sister & I - were royally pissed and annoyed with Dad and Mayumi for treating us like small children.  I don't think they realized how condescending and boring everything that we did was.  Eventually, Gran was like, "Fuck this" and we went to the Arlington lobby to drink drink drink a lot of Cape Codders, much to my parent's dismay.  Eventually, they gave in and joined us.  My Gran is the coolest.  I really miss her.  She understood her grandchildren and had a wicked sense of humor.  Here's her with KMHD pretending like they are having the grandest time.  Acting!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

And here is what KMHD and I affectionately call the "Plastic Draheim Band" promo photo:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Arlington lobby:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Views from the Arlington's great, big porch:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Moutain Valley Spring has one of the best preserved and utilized buildings on Central Avenue:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Formerly known as the Downtowner:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

After our next Chicago trip, we've got a lot to plan for.  Lots of general autumn hangings out, a Halloween party, art house film night @ Victory St., and a Thanksgiving trip to NOLA.  Too, I feel like working on the house some -- need to show the 3519 some love.  This is my favorite time of year, I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest extent.  I will be exhausted come Xmas.  I'm not complaining.




h o n o r a b l e   m e n t i o n s


Homemade biscuits & gravy:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I say without hesitation that Flying Fish makes the best fish tacos I've ever had:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Monsters:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

A recent score:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Las Delicias:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Watching mum work:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Ai Lien--Are you at La Regional (pictures almost at the end of your post)? Love that place. We've tried Las Americas too. But haven't been to either in a while.

AMD & KMHD said...

Nah, this is Las Delicias in Levy. It's right down the hill, so we go too much probably?

Carrie said...

Ahh...okay. Looks great. I will have to try it. From I40 take the Levy exit and go under overpass? Then how far north (or south)?

AMD & KMHD said...

It's about 1 1/2 blocks in. Across the street from US Pizza. I think you'd like it.

Blog Archive